Ergobaby 360 Carrier Review
Dr Amy Giannakis
Chiropractor, babywearing advocate and mother-of-three – reviewbabycarriers.net
My Rating :
Ergobaby has come up with an ingenious design that allows for an ergonomic carry for both baby and wearer in all four positions! The great features of the Ergobaby 360 Carrier are an ergonomic bucket style seat that easily adjusts in width so you can either face baby outwards or inwards, a velcro waistband that gives a snug, comfortable fit and a height-adjustable backrest.
My Chiropractic Opinion on the Ergobaby 360 Carrier:
Firstly, I should say I was surprised when I heard that Ergobaby had designed a baby carrier that allowed for a forward facing option that was completely ergonomic but when I tried it with my 5 month old facing outwards I was very impressed! This new revolutionary carrier allows you to carry your baby in four different positions, all while remaining ergonomic for you and your baby.
In the Ergobaby 360 Carrier the baby is well seated in the “M” posture with their knees held higher than their pelvis and their spine is supported in the “C” curve that babies naturally have. For more information on this, please refer to my page on The Importance of Ergonomics. In the forward facing position the “C” curve is not maintained but since this feature is only recommended for babies over 6 months, that’s not as important as their postural curves have already started to develop from tummy time/crawling/sitting etc. In the forward facing option the “M” posture is maintained which is important, as their body weight is distributed well as they are in the seated position with their knees higher than their hips.
While the carrier is an ergonomic option if you choose to forward face, you must also read your baby’s cues and know when they are feeling or acting over-stimulated. Forward facing allows the baby to face outwards and see what is around them but at the same time, if they get overstimulated or tired then they may want to turn and nuzzle into the wearer. Ergobaby suggests that you only forward face for a maximum of 15-20 mins and I would tend to agree. I only wear my baby forward facing when he has just woken from a sleep or is happy and not grizzly or tired.
The forward facing position
Please watch the video for correct positioning when forward facing your baby in the Ergobaby 360 Carrier to ensure it is worn correctly and ergonomically.
- Easy to put on. With the wide velcro waist band, you get a snug fit and it makes it easier to swap between wearers as there’s less adjusting
- Easy to adjust the seat for the baby with two big buttons
- Ergonomic and comfortable seat for baby when forward facing
- Feels very compact when worn
- Height adjustable backrest for when baby falls asleep or for taller and older babies
- None to mention
A Day In The Life Of…
A review of the Ergobaby 360 Carrier in my daily activities
Getting baby into carrier in the car park. It is quite easy, first put on the velcro waistband and fasten the safety buckle then take your child out of the car and put them in.
Is it easier to put it on before leaving the house? No, it’s easier to put on after getting out of the car.
How supported is the baby in the Ergobaby 360 Carrier? Very. The extendable back rest means baby’s head is supported when sleeping.
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with the carrier on? Yes.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the carrier on? Yes.
Does it feel hands-free? Yes, especially with the headrest up.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep? Very, the headrest supports baby’s head very well.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the Ergobaby 360 Carrier? I have found this a tad tricky as I would normally lower the waistbelt on the carrier but you can’t do this easily with the velcro waistbelt.
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc? With the headrest up yes you can.
Can I sit down while wearing it? Yes.
How does it feel after 30 minutes? Feels very comfortable. I have worn it for long periods.
Does it pass the late afternoon/dinner time test? ie; the witching hour! Yes, the Ergobaby 360 Carrier gives you your hands back!
Can it hold a toddler? Yes I can carry my almost 2.5yr old in it.
Features and Benefits of the Ergobaby 360 Four Position Carrier as taken from www.ergobaby.com
- 4 carry positions front, back, hip and outward-facing front carry
- Outward-facing front carry position recommended from 6 to 12 months
- Aligns with the recommended carry position from the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- Ergonomically structured seat supports baby in an ergonomic seated position
- Adjustable seat width and carrier height grow with your baby
- Velcro adjustable waistband can be worn high or low for maximum comfort
- Highly adjustable carrier suits wearers from 153cm – 195cm (5’ to 6’5”)
- Safety tested and certified design (JPMA Certified, ASTM F2236)
- SPF 50+ hood allows for sleeping baby, discreet breastfeeding, and sun/wind protection
- Naturally breathable 100% cotton fabric and filling